Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Books, Books, Books - Grammy's Favorite Kids' Books this week

[L-R] Librarian Janice Langdon,
the REAL Orion, from "Three
Little Gnomes and a Boy
Named Orion," and children's
author, Rhonda Paglia

Hey Grammy - What are you reading?

Hi Everyone!  I've been lost for awhile -  lost inside some really neat chidren's stories.  One of my very favorite things, that I absolutely LOVE, is children's books!  I love the pictures, the stories, the rhythm of the words, and especially love to see what's inside the author's imagination!  I think that's my favorite part!!

I also have a special place in my heart for independent authors - the ones who self-publishing their books.  I applaud their efforts and want to share some of my favorites this week that I think you should check out.

Lorenzo the Bear: Encounter at Jellyfish Cove 
by Carmela Dutra
This is a sweet little book about the brave Lorenzo Bear who practices his sword fighting skills everyday [just incase he ever meets up with a pirate]. Well, Lorenzo does just that in the Encounter at Jellyfish Cove.  He meets up with first mate, the peg-legged octopus, Octavius, and the nasty pirate baboon, Lord Boris.  Thankfully, Lorenzo's practice pays off! Carmela Dutra is also the artist for this charming little read aloud story.

Dani and the Haunted House -a Dani P. Mystery
by Kristen Lamb.
I loved the fiesty little, 7-year-old female detective, Dani Spinelli, and her sidekick, Chloe.  Together they figure out what's causing all the mysterious events that have been happening at the amusement park's haunted house ride. I used to love the Nancy Drew mysteries as a kid.  Author, Kristen Lamb is providing mystery chapter books for younger readers with short, easy to read chapters that will keep the kids flipping the pages.

Finally - this is VERY special:
The Sugary Sherburts and the Stone Witch
by Heather Ellis, illustrated by James Ellis
I want to tell you that I had such fun reading this delightful book about the Sugary Sherburts who live in the town of Thornton - where the houses are made of chocolate!  There is an evil witch in this story who wants to destroy the town and ruin Christmas for everyone.  She can turn things and people to stone with her evil powers. Twins, Kit and Kat Sugary-Sherburt, have solved mysteries before, so they set out to try figure out what is happening to their town and stop the nasty witch before they have to get home for dinner.

The BEST part of this book is, not only the tale that is woven and the hint of a British accent that I could detect in the text, but the fact that the author, Heather Ellis, from England, is only 11 years old!  I read it through once, and when I get a little more time, I will read it again, just to enjoy the story and the language of this young, gifted author.  Her Dad, James Ellis, was the illustrator, and his drawings are a lot of fun!  I highly recommend this book for kids who want to read a great story by a kid!  Also, kudos to Heather's parents for supporting her and her book.  I think we will be reading more of Heather's stories in the future!  Bravo, Miss Heather!!

Love to you all,
Rhonda Paglia's Grammy Pags Stories Website
Grammy Pags Stories on Facebook
grammypags1@gamil.com

Rhonda Paglia is a children's author, a retired elementary teacher, and a "not so retired" grandmother from Pennsylvania.  "Three Little Gnomes and a Boy Named Orion" is her newest children's book.  Reading level, grades 2 & 3, interest level - ages 2+  

"Grammy Pags" as she is called, is also the author of 3 other published children's stories:  "The Little Lambs and the Very Special Mission" dedicated to the children and teachers of Sandy Hook Elementary School; "Doonsey's Beach Adventure, the Great Rescue" and "Doonsey's Beach Adventure, the Great Rescue, Coloring and Activity Book."  Doonsey is a little ocean crab that loves to explore.



No comments:

Post a Comment